Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Never enough time

I often feel, especially this time of year, that I am always a step behind. I went back to work yesterday after taking a day off for what was supposed to be recovery. It turns out that I didn't need to recover from my riding. Back to work yesterday, and it took hours to recover from being gone for a few days. By the time I was into work for Tuesday, it was the middle of the afternoon.

Springtime in a bike shop can be tough. Everyone wants stuff right away. What gets me the most, are the people who take care of things when they should. Inevitably, something goes wrong, so we scramble to try to get them going as quickly as possible. Which then puts us a little further behind with the regular business for the day. There are times when this quickly spirals into a large, out-of-control mess.

Fortunately, I work with a very talented crew. People that work hard (can slack off, when the moment calls for it). For very little reward (as defined by general work practices). Yesterday, we blasted away work throughout the afternoon and actually were able to work a small bit ahead.

Now if I could get to that point at home. Trying to get everything buttoned up before heading out for a sub 24 camping trip this weekend. I wonder if I could hire a talented crew for my regular household duties? On a bike shop salary.

No comments: