Monday, May 5, 2008

Rain, sun and FUN

Friday, a couple of guys from the shop and I were set to go on a sub 24 hour camping ride. This had been planned for a while as there was an anomaly in our schedule and 4 of us had Saturday off. We couldn't let this go to waste.

I think, at one point, had 6 people interested in going. By Friday afternoon, it was down to 3. And all of us had our reservations. With it raining all day, raining when we departed, and forecast of snow and gusty winds, we set off after the shop closed. We decided to make it a shorter ride, just around 25 miles. By the time we stopped for food, we were miserable. Shivering around the table, it took a good 45 minutes for people to start warming up. None of us were really prepared to ride in those conditions.

Camp was just a 5 minute ride from the food. We set up the tents as fast as we could. I need a little practice with my new tent. I climbed in my tent, changed clothes, and started to go through the list of things I forgot to bring in with me. Too late. I wasn't going back out in that. The socializing was kept to a minimum as well.

Turns out no snow that night. The rain stopped around 2 or 3 in the morning. And by the time we found breakfast, the sun had come out. We had a great ride home. A little windy, but the sun shined all day. The perfect thing to erase a wretched evening.

We went on our normal Sunday Slow Ride with 9 riders starting out. We rode to Sean's house for a bar-b-que and wow! He put on a great spread! The food was fantastic, we met up with a few more people on the way, so it totaled about 16 people total. I think it ranks #1 for slow rides. It was wonderful to line up the bikes that our normal slow ride participants were riding and see swept back cruiser bars on all of them. The slow ride is finally coming together.

No comments: