Friday, May 22, 2009

Choices Choices

It's nearly summer here in MN and as we close a little early on Fridays, it means I don't have to ride a bike with lights. That opens the door to riding bikes I don't normally commute on. I am lucky enough to have a locker at work to store a pile of stuff, so I could get away with packing lightly. Just had to have room for the tool kit, pump, lock, shorts, gloves, long sleeve (summer still is chilly in the morning), camera, wallet, phone, keys, and leave enough room for my breakfast wrap from Nelson's (an end of the week treat).

As I went to the basement I was already trying to decided which bike to ride. I have a couple bikes in various states of disassemble (thanks to a stem recall), so I had it narrowed before I even made it to the bottom of the steps. It came down to a choice between a 15 year old Trek and a nearly 25 year old Schwinn. For all the newer bikes littering the hooks, it struck me that I would rule out all the new for the old. True, there really aren't any old parts on those rigs, but it still sticks with me that those are the frames I think of to ride.

I chose the Schwinn. As crappy as it may be in today's standards, that thing rides smooth as anything. And for a small 20 mile round trip, I would match it up against anything else I own (obviously.) It makes me feel that I am getting older, faster than I can keep up.

No comments: