Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Packed Sunday

I started out the day with a couple of nice laps down at Lebenon Hills. It's so funny riding with Ken. The classic, "I'm trying to stay ahead of you the best I can" vs. "I'm just trying to keep up with you" pretty much all the time. I have been riding the Surly 1X1 with a second-hand Manitou fork and IRD Dual Banger discs. It was riding well, but really started rocking when I let a few psi out of the tyres. After the first lap, I lowered my saddle because it just didn't feel right. Again, marked improvements. Just reminds me that the nicest of bikes can be made to ride like crap if not set up correctly. And also that a mediocre bike can ride just fine if it fits you and your riding well.

After a quick shower, I loaded up the trailer and Carrie and I went up to Como Park for a cousin picnic. I have a bunch of cousins in the metro area, so we decided that we needed to reconnect. Some of us had never seen each other before, and a lot of us had forgotten what others looked like and such. It was a great time. Cook'n out and getting to know family again. Something that gets lost in the fast charging lives of so many of us.


Unfortunately, I lost at bocce. (But what form!)

After the picnic, Carrie and I continued our quest at canning. We bought a box of tomatoes to save some freshness for the upcoming winter. Now, after several jars (why we still call it canning I can't figure out), we are approaching the end. Looking forward to nice pasta sauce come February.

No comments: