Thursday, January 13, 2011

More Snow

It continues to snow here in the twin cities. I am not sure how close we are going to come to a record for snowfall for this winter season, but it is definitely more than we have had for several years. So far every broomball game I have played has been with at lease 1/2" of snow on the ice.

With all the snow we have received, it has made riding a real joy. The streets are getting narrower and narrower and today riding home was the ever fun slipping and sliding with all the ice underneath the fresh snow. Of course it could have been worse if there was more moisture in the snow. Winter just isn't my favorite time for riding. I do enjoy being out in the snow and if I can be on a trail away from automobiles, where I don't have to fight the divots made by people walking, biking is great. The snow deadens all the noise of the city and it can be incredibly peaceful. But those trail conditions are very rare. I guess the way to get around that is to go for a ride at 3AM.

I am already starting to plan out my biking season. I have a little interest in trying a brevet series. We have a number of them in the area, and with Trans Iowa almost kicking off the actual biking season, I should be in pretty good shape to participate. It would mean joining TCBC which I have never done. Having worked in a bike shop here in the cities over 10 years, I should spread the love around. It's good to keep trying different things.

No comments: