Tuesday, January 18, 2011

To Pannier or not Two Pannier

I have used panniers for a number of years. I was a messenger bag person for several years and thought that panniers had their place for touring or tons of stuff transport. But do I really want to haul around those bags every day on my bike? Turns out yes, yes I do. I have taken a lot of grief when people would pick up my bicycle and complain how much it weighed (I still don't understand why they would complain about such things). I carry a lot of stuff with me. The nice thing is that I almost always have what I need (and a bunch extra) when I am... wherever. Extra shirt, socks, hat (hats?), phone charger, tools, tubes, various spare bike tid-bits, lock (at least 4' cable for locking extra bikes for those that have forgotten theirs), you get the idea.

But come winter, I sometimes lose the rear rack (panniers are bolted on for extra quietness and security) and opt for a backpack. I like the backpack vs. messenger bag so as to keep the weight more centered on my body for squirrely snowy conditions. I wasn't so sure how much difference it makes, but I just removed the rack/bag from my bike this morning and immediately noticed how much easier my bike handles when the snow deepens. The only drawback being that with the stupid bag on my back, there is no breathing back there. Not the worst thing in the winter. Well worth the extra confidence I have when cornering and it makes the ride more fun. I need all I can get to keep going in the snow and cold. So the backpack stays loaded up until most of the snow is gone. That will maybe keep the fun factor a little higher during the next couple fortnights.

No comments: