Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Uneasy feeling

So it was supposed to be an epic ride. Turned out around 130 miles. Leaving from Ken's house, I felt really good (besides carrying way more weight than Ken which is never a good idea) but unfortunately it did not take long before I started feeling very uneasy about our ride. We were supposed to ride to Winona and back. Down the WI side and up the MN side. Before we made it out of the metro, Ken had to fix 2 flats. We found new tubes but I don't think that had anything to do with my "sense" of how the ride was going.

We were having a good time. That was the weirdest thing. I had plenty of food, clothing, and more than I need for a ride like this. But that nagging feeling stayed with me. The rain was so slight it was barely noticeable. The skies cleared as we left Prescott and it was a beautiful evening. I could not shake the thought of something being wrong. So after a debate at the first bridge crossing, we decided to head in the direction of home. We could still wander.

We stopped and had some food and a pitcher of beer. Everything that had happened so far is the description of the perfect ride. Now that we were on the way home, I was starting to feel a little better. Which gave way to my physically feeling worse. I have a difficult time riding overnight. I have done this several times and each time, I dress a little differently and think one of these days, I'll get this right. It's just me. I freeze at night. No matter what I wear, or how warm it is, I get super cold. Not fun to ride like that.

I also tend to generate an upset stomach after 75 miles or so. This usually lasts until somewhere around mile 100. I am getting better at controlling this, but it still stinks. All this started to make me think about whether I am cut out for this long distance riding thing. I ride because I enjoy being on the bike. But I can't decide if it's fun to ride with the patches of discomfort I encounter during these rides. The weird thing is that after I am home, I will start contemplating another one.

So I think I figured out the uneasy feeling. My pastor retired on Sunday. I had been unable to go to his retirement reception, or even last Sunday's service. This was the last chance to hear him preach and say thank you and goodbye. It bothered me more than I thought it would to miss that. By changing our route and coming mostly directly home, I had time to shower and catch a small nap before going to church.

Thank you and goodbye.

3 comments:

Reflector Collector said...

Good ride Scott, glad that we could go, totally okay with cutting the ride short.

Bill Connell said...

Funny that we ended up with almost exactly the same mileage (i had 131), despite different routes. Despite the bad omens of a cancelled train and closed bridges, our ride went very nicely, an excellent time. Hopefully next time we can work it out to ride together.

Bill

Anonymous said...

And my random google searches paid off. Now I know where your blog is. It looks like I won't be making it for the Duluth ride this weekend. Have fun without me.

Spencer