Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Workin Weekend

I worked mechanical support for the MS 150 this past weekend. I have a little different take on it as my wife has been going with me for a few years to help out on both the 150 and TRAM. It always reminds me of how fortunate I am that we can, and like, to work together. She is not into bikes like I am, but she gets in there and does what she can, which is quite a lot.

We had the usual flat tyres, broken spokes, squeaks and noises that are always present. I did have one repair that was interesting. A rider had snapped his derailleur hanger off right across the dropout. The chain was twisted, I'm pretty sure the derailleur cage was bent, but surprisingly, his wheel was in good shape. I ended up using a Look cleat washer under his quick release nut, and using it to clamp the two pieces of hanger together. Put everything back together and gently test rode it. It was fine when cranking on the pedals, and it even shifted a couple gears. The only thing I did wrong was not getting his contact info, so I don't know if it held for the remaining 24 miles he had to ride. I ordered up an emergency hanger this week.

I also had my parents in town for a few days. It was really nice for them to come out, as they don't get out this way much. We had some nice dinners, did some shopping they don't have access to, and just hung out. A nice way to finish off the long weekend.

A big downer was the news of my stepfather's detection of Lymphoma. It seems to be early stage, but it still is scary. There is definitely a difference in the air, and people's moods are a little different now. A hard thing to have to deal with. Always reminds you to make sure you live your life on your terms while you can.

No comments: