Monday, September 29, 2008

Enter Fall

As fall begins to creep its way into this part of the world, it reinvigorates me in a myriad of ways. I know that spring is the time for much rebirth and renewal, but fall fits me. The cooler weather, being more predictable, means putting on an extra layer or so and keeping it on. Even as the sun peeks out, there usually isn't enough force to make you loose a layer. Maybe just unzip a little. It's very comforting, physically. And I think that frees my mind up some, as I always start thinking a little more about where my life is going, and what I want and should be doing.

So I started carrying my camera a little more. I was coming home the other night and saw one of the most spectacular sunsets ever. It was one of those "skies on fire" types of scenes, with the sun looking like it was about to engulf the Minneapolis skyline. Amazing. I hadn't yet reached this point of introspection, so of course, no camera.

I also am making the list of things I need to do to feel some accomplishment. My wife is a big fan of lists and like all great people, she rubs off on me a little. I now find lists of stuff all over the place. Every once in a while, there are even things on those lists that I have done.

A bad thing about fall is that we slow waaaaay down at the bike shop. We had a Sunday slow ride yesterday to kind of celebrate the last work day for one of our best part timers. We just rode around the cities a little bit, wandering our way to some pizza and beer. Sitting in the restaurant, we were getting a little chilly from the sweat of the ride. Fortunately, I just zipped up the wool long sleeve and was reminded again, yep, it's fall.

So now I am making a concentrated effort to do some things that challenge me. Making sure that as the winter season approaches, I embrace this time of renewal for me. It's the perfect time to finish some long overdue projects, and wrap my brain around some tough mental challenges I have ongoing. This really is, for me, the greatest time of year.

No comments: