Monday, September 22, 2008

Fun and Shinanigans

My friend Ken and I rode the Urban Assault Ride this weekend. Twas a fantastic event. We rode to the packet pick-up on Saturday with the intention of doing some planning for Sundays ride. Now anyone who knows us will realize when we say planning, it really means making sure we decide what time we are to meet. This was true for Saturday but ended up with a little more planning than normal after the first couple beers. And it kept going from there.

I had spent a couple days making sure the Cross Check was ready to ride. I figured it would be perfect for the unpredictable route we would take. But after Saturdays ride, we ended up riding Ken's Schwinn Twin from the 60's. Definitely the best decision of the weekend. We figured we had better have some nourishment for the ride as it started at 9AM. So we picked up the fixins for bloody marys to have during the ride. Definitely the best decision of the weekend. Neither of us were much of the bloody mary fan, but now I think we are hooked. Ken brought a couple swank Hawaiian shirts for our uniforms. Stylin. With the cooler stocked with extra mix and vegetables, our glasses half-full (to cut down on spillage), we were off.

The ride was perfect. It is the best time of year to ride around these parts. Riding around the cities, we would be seeing other riders and everyone was super friendly. Bells ringing like crazy. Made me wonder why people aren't that nice all the time. I think our proudest moment was the limbo contest. I wasn't thinking we would have to do any contests on our own bicycles. Fortunately, Ken is a fantastic rider and I am small. Good combo for the limbo.

I haven't mapped it out yet, but we put on nearly 30 miles. There was a small amount of back-tracking done, but it is really amazing about the winning team. They must have been flying! All I know is that this was the second race I have done in the same year. After a hiatus of over 10 years from any racing, I think I have outdone myself. I might have to do some more training next year. I have a nice gash and bruise from slipping a pedal on the big wheel.

2 comments:

Reflector Collector said...

We need links to any photos!

bicycletorch said...

Sorry about that. Try this,

link to pictures
. Not very good with the HTML, so I hope it works.