Tuesday, August 10, 2010

New Toy


I rarely buy stuff without a little research. But last week I saw a blurb about a new product from Dahon and I decided I should try it right away. Enter the ReeCharge. Peter White has had a product similar to this for a while, but it costs quite a bit more and needed a secondary caching battery to use with a phone and such.

This battery unit is very much self contained. There is a regulator that hooks up to a hub dynamo, and then the battery unit itself. Plug your phone, or mp3 player, or GPS unit, or laptop, or whatever else you wish to charge, and you are good to go. I haven't actually hooked it up to my hub yet, but right away it seems like it is going to be a nice accessory for uber long bike rides.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the ReeCharge came with adapters for a bunch of different electronic devices; Nokia, Samsung, Apple, and then more generic mini USB. Even an EU plug in! The device is super easy with a plug in to charge the battery and a plug to charge your devices. There are some decent covers to keep it somewhat water resistant and the strapping should make it mountable almost anywhere. I'll probably write some more about this after I have used it for a while.

Now I am starting to crave my new Droid I ordered. My current phone is not nearly as power hungry as the new one will be, so it will be interesting to see how this keeps it going. In the meantime, I will use it for as many different devices I have. Not being super into electronic stuff, I am a little limited. But I think I can get the gist.

No comments: