Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Townie wheels. Really?


I just ran across this wonderful new product this morning. While I appreciate the use of the White Industries hubs, this is one of the stupidest marketing launches I have seen yet. I suppose for those who want to show off their bike and make it look "cool", this would work. But for a bicycle to be locked up and not worried about, missed. For a bike you can maybe true the wheel without taking the tire tube and rim strip off, missed. Or for general abuse and neglect, missed. They say they are to be strong because they are used for "pro athlete race wheels", which are never a true test for a product. They get ridden hard, but not in real world conditions. Good for selling race wheels, not everyday, round town wheels. True I haven't ridden these wheels, but I guarantee my 32h wheels will last longer.

Just couldn't help myself.

1 comment:

Reflector Collector said...

They sum it all up with:
Now just about any frame can be turned into a stylish townie with Rolf Prima P-Town wheels.