Friday, September 21, 2012

Leaving Las Vegas

I am not a fan of the Vegas city.  There is no hiding that.  Upon being picked up at the airport today I was struck with how much of my description of my week was about stuff I didn't enjoy about being in Vegas.  That is something I need to work on.

My coworker Cayley and I flew back to civilization today.  Coming back to the smells and subtle sounds of Minnesota is amazing.  But I am already thinking of products I didn't quite pick up enough information about.  Fender mounts, diversity of socks and gloves, freewheels.  There are a number of things that I just didn't get around to.

Personally, one of the exciting things this year is the growing acceptance of the 584 bsd wheel size.  Some refer to this as 650b or a growing trend of 27.5", but I like to stick to the actual measurement.  In talking with one of the guys from Park Tool, I referenced 584 and he was super pleased in being able to talk actual measurable numbers.  It's a trend I would love to see expanded on.  Anyway, there are a bunch of new components that are being introduced for 584 bikes.  Not a lot of bikes from the big companies, but there are a few popping up.  Forks (Rock Shox has around 6 different options), rims and wheels, and now a number of tyre options (around 6 from Schwalbe alone).  I am hoping to be able to squeeze one of these new bikes into my fleet sooner than later.

I liked what I saw from the bag company Deuter.  I don't know if we can sell any, but they seem to be a nice alternative to Camelbak or some of the other larger US brands.  Wednesday was the trip through the Shimano booth.  11 speed is here.  The electronic shifting didn't do that much for me.  I do appreciate the larger shift pad, sleeker front derailleur design, programmable sensitivity, and multi-shift options, but I really liked the improved mechanical front shifting and cable refinements.  There was zero hesitation on the front shifting.  I have a number of customers with small hands that are really going to like that technology.  It may have to creep down to some lower levels, but it should get there.  I cant' say I am unimpressed with the Alfine 11 electronic setup, but I don't think it is what most commuters want.  What is nice about it, is the ability to run a flat or riser or drop bar setup with a small change to your shifter.

Staying on the Shimano theme, the new 7900 system uses a 110 bcd  crankset.  It is the same no matter what kind of sizing you are dealing with.  That should be a nicer way to manufacture cranks with just having to bolt on a 53/42 chainring set on one, and then bolt a 50/34 on the exact same arms.  Nice for changing riding styles as well.  There are quite a few other changes that are happening at Shimano, but my brain isn't able to regurgitate them up right now.

Against my better judgment, I may try to convince the higher ups to try out a few Lyzene pumps.  They have always had great looking designs but there are a few things I have now seen in person that i think would sell ok.  Not that we need more pump options, but if there are products out there that are worth selling, we should have them, or at least have used them.

Still wading through some pictures and will have them up throughout next week.  

No comments: