Friday, March 8, 2013

Snow and all the fixins

Not as snowy as I thought it would be
 We received a bit of snow around here.  Hopefully the last of the big snows for the season.  Usually around the first of March, spring fever starts to hit hard around the cities.  We see an increase in customers at the shop, and with the sun starting to kick out a bit more heat and staying around longer, it's hard to not be excited about longer bike rides and less clothing while doing so.  Unfortunately, we still have to deal with snow and cold wet weather for another month or so.  It can become a bit depressing.


I ride over train tracks almost every day
Door latch mechanism new spring installed


I had the day off today and with a house that is 100 years old, some stuff tends to wear out and need fixin.  I have a couple of inside doors that have been less than perfect for a while.  Today, I could take it no longer.  I took the first one apart and found a coil spring had broken, causing the latch to hang up and keeping it from travelling completely into the catch.  A slight alteration to a retractable pen spring and door #1 was back in operation.  On door#2 I wasn't planning on digging into the mechanism but upon further inspection I found a linear spring had broken (fixed easily enough with a piece of rack brace).  I may have started a bad trend as both doorknobs now work fantastic being cleaned out and having some Phil Wood grease on the moving parts.

No comments: